The META Description Tag has no effect on ranking but in some cases search engines will use this tag as a description of your site in the SERPs. Think of it as text for getting users to visit your site rather than as text for the search engines.
- Make sure your description is relevant to the content on the page.
- Use proper grammar in one or two sentences.
- Make sure all the words are spelt correctly.
- Avoid the use of symbols, numbers and special characters.
- The description should include your main keywords.
- Do not repeat the keywords in the same phrase or list them.
- Keep the length under 160 characters including spaces.
The META Description Tag should be placed immediately after the title element. Using the example page structure from the Title element post it should look something like this:
<!doctype HTML PUBLIC “-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN”>
<meta http-equiv=”Content-Type” content=”text/html; charset=iso-8859-1″>
<meta http-equiv=”Content-Language” content=”en”>
<title>Retail Store Fixtures and Retail Store Display Supplies</title>
<meta name=”Description” content=”All your retail store display requirements at discounted prices with next day delivery. An online catalog of retail store fixtures from G.Brown Company Inc.”>
<meta name=”Keywords” content=” your, keyword, list, here”>
<link type=”text/css” rel=”stylesheet” src=”/path/file.css”>
The content of your page goes here.